Thursday 8 December 2022

Hungarians

 

There are many good wine shops in Budapest and Sopron too for that matter. No doubt all over Hungary as well. We have reported many times on this country - rare grape variety hotspot equal to Greece, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy and others. If you are looking for a winemerchant in Budapest for rare Hungarian varieties, Tasting Table Hungary is the place for you.


Not long ago we received an email from TTH with news of even more varieties to add to the ones we had imported in May 2021 (see this blog). They were among others

Piros Bakator, Somlo Kincse Winery

Rozalia, Turay Winery

Laska, Szentesi Winery

Tihanyi Kek, Szentesi Winery

Tarkali Kek, Szentesi Winery

Zengő "Ocsi", Szentesi Winery 

Obviously the Szentesi Winery is devoted to reviving obscure grapes. Here is a note on the remarkable Joszef Szentesi;


As a child, József Szentesi showed little interest in working in his father’s 1ha vineyard in Budaörs, 10km from Budapest. But, in 1998, he decided to make his own wine, training himself and gaining inspiration from winemakers in Burgundy. Currently, he manages 16ha on the slopes of Lake Velencei, 50km from Hungary’s capital, at an altitude of 175m. He grows 30 different grape varieties – including 20 that are extremely rare.

"I also have traditional varieties, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Kadarka from the reds; Riesling, Zengő, Sauvignon Blanc, some Furmint and Kéknyelű from the whites. In an old publication written in 1880, I read about the ancient first-, second-, and third-class grape varieties. I was surprised that I hadn't even heard about many of the first-class ones. I have chosen 10 red and 10 white varieties; I purchased the rooted grafts from the Winery Research Faculty of University of Pécs, and Dr Pál Kozma (grape breeder) helped with the grafting on. In 2001, I read an article about ‘Buda Red’ wine, which is a blend from Kadarka and Csókaszőlő grapes that was one of the most important export commodities of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. I decided that I wanted to make this wine. In 2003, we grafted 300 grapevines of Csókaszőlő (below), from which I made 40 litres of wine in 2004. In 2005, Hungarian winemakers visited me and were fascinated by the wine, because since 130 years no one made wine from this variety. Some of them also took grafts, for example, Vylyan winery from Villány. 

The reds are Tihanyi Kék, Tarcali Kék, Csókaszőlő, Kékbajor, Feketefájú Bajor, Hajnos Kék, Kékszilváni, Purcsin, Laska, Feketemuskotály. The whites are Szerémi Zöld, Balafánt, Kovácsi, Kolontár, Lisztes, Fehér Gohér, Hamvas, Sárfehér, Vörösdinka, Piros Bakator. I see a big potential in the reds, because only Kékfrankos (Blaufrankisch) and Kadarka have survived the phylloxera plague from the native red grape varieties. From eight of the reds I already made wine several times, and this year I’ll make from Purcsin and Kékszilváni. From the whites, I see potential in Szerémi Zöld. In addition, I make a blend of Lisztes Fehér and Zöldszilváni. 

How wonderful is that?

 

Koszonom szepen to Tamas Korner and his people at Tasting Hungary


 

 

No comments: