Here's our answer to the Sunday Times Wine Club. A mixed case from our current favourite wine merchants, Cambers Street Wines of New York. Not only our favourite. The shop gets really crowded. Here's the queue to check out on a Saturday afternoon.
We assembled this Dozen on a recent visit to New York and were complimented on our choice by a friendly member of staff - hardly surprising as we had spent a long time being tutored by the knowledgeable experts that make this wine merchant so much more than just a place to buy wine.
Here's the list: Grape varieties are in bold
1. New York Finger Lakes Dry Riesling, Silver Thread Vineyards, 2010 (ABV n/a)
2. New York Finger Lakes Bloomer Creek, Moorhouse Road Vineyard Riesling "Tanzen Dame" 2009, 10%
3. New York Finger Lakes Eminence Road Elizabeth's Vineyard Cabernet Franc 2010, 12.7%
this back label is also common to
4. New York Finger Lakes Eminence Road Auten Vineyard Pinot Noir 2010, 12.7%
5. New York Long Island North Fork Paumanok Cabernet Franc 2009, 12.5%
When Chambers Street Wines finally make a selection of New York State Wines one has to sit up and take notice and so far these have proved excellent.
6. Le petit Domaine de Gimios Cuvee Rouge de Causse (a field blend of no less than 16 varieties including Cinsault, Alicante, Grenache, Carignan, Aramon, Syrah and Muscat. We will try to bring you the other 9 soon). Rousillon (Minervois) 13%
We were disappointed by the same grower's 'Rouge Fruit' which only included 6 of the above varieties. Perhaps more are needed!)
7. Tajinaste Tinto Tradicional Valle de la Orotava Listan Negro Tenefire Islas Canarias 2010, 13%
8. Rossese di Albenga, V. Bastio, Riviera Ligure di Ponente DOC 2010,12.5%.........................................
9.Crna Cotar Sparkling (red) Teran (Refosco), Komen, Slovenia 2009, 12%
10.Vina Zaneta Marmajuelo (white) Ycoden-Daute-Isora DOC, Spain, 2009 12.5%
11. Vini Biondi "Outis" (Nessuno - no one - no name) Etna Bianco Cateratto, Carricante, Minnella, Malvasia and Moscadella dell' Etna, 12.5%
10. Nibias Vinedo de Alta Montana Albarin Blanco, Cangas Asturias (white) NV (?) 14%
Albarin Blanco is a separate grape and has nothing to do with Albarino
Many of the above are Natural, biological or Bio-dynamic as befits Chambers St. Wines.